This delicious spiced sponge with chocolate sauce, strawberries and cinnamon-honey cream was my choice for my birthday cake this year. I’ve made it several more times since to rave reviews. It’s quick and easy to make and friends and family will be impressed with your efforts and the extraordinary taste. The recipe is in a printable format at the end of the post. Enjoy!
Bring the eggs to room temperature if you store them in the fridge. Separate the yolks from the whites and place the whites into the bowl of an electric mixer.
Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form.
Gradually add the sugar and beat until it’s all dissolved. The meringue should be thick and glossy.
Add the golden syrup and egg yolks, one at a time, beating only until the yolks are incorporated.
Fold in the dry ingredients being careful not to over mix; you want to keep as much of the incorporated air as possible in the mixture. Place equal amounts of mixture into 2 greased and lined cake tins.
Bake until the cakes are lightly brown and firm to touch.
Turn the sponges out onto cooling racks, making sure the paper lining is touching the rack. Once the sponges have cooled remove the baking paper and either fill and decorate the cake or wrap the sponges in glad wrap and store them until required- you can freeze them if desired.
To finish the cake whip the cream with the cinnamon and honey and spread generously over 1 sponge layer.
Slice the washed strawberries and place them over the cream. Prepare the chocolate ganache and drizzle it over the strawberries.
Top with the second sponge cake. Spread the top layer with cream and decorate with sliced and halved strawberries; drizzle with ganache. keep the sponge in the fridge until approximately 30 minutes before it is required;. it tastes best at room temperature.
- 5 eggs, separated
- ¾ cup/165g caster sugar
- 1 tblspn golden syrup
- ⅓ cup/50g self raising flour
- ⅓ cup/50g cornflour
- 3 tspns ground ginger
- 2 tspns ground cinnamon
- 2 tspns cocoa powder
- 500ml thickened cream
- 1 tblspn honey
- 2 tspns cinnamon extra
- 125g dark cooking chocolate
- 2 punnets of strawberries washed and hulled
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced.
- Grease and line two deep 20cm round cake pans.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until it's dissolved.
- Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time and then the golden syrup.
- Triple sift the dry ingredients, except for the extra cinnamon. Carefully fold into the egg mixture.
- Turn into the prepared pans, weighing each pan (if possible) to ensure equal amounts of mixture.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until brown and well-risen.
- Turn the sponges onto a wire rack to cool.
- Prepare the chocolate ganache. Break up the chocolate and place into a microwave safe jug. Barely cover the chocolate with cream and place into the microwave for 30 second bursts of high power until the cream just starts to boil.
- Remove from the microwave and stir until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Whip the remaining cream with the honey and extra cinnamon until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until the cake is ready to be assembled.
- Chop half the strawberries into slivers. With the remaining strawberries halve them, keeping intact the green stem and leaves for decoration.