This moist cake is excellent for either afternoon tea or dessert on a cold winter’s day. Serve with cream, ice cream or custard and try to stop yourself at only one piece! The recipe adapts well to other fruit; try plum, apricot, peach or blueberries.
The full recipe can be found in a printable format at the bottom of the post.
Assemble your ingredients. Having everything at your finger tips speeds up the cake making process.
Peel, core and slice the apples; spread them evenly over the brown sugar/butter which has been beaten into a paste.
Prepare the cake batter. Beat the butter, vanilla extract and caster sugar until light and creamy.
Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between additions.
Mix in the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream. Be careful not to over beat.
Try to keep cake batter thieves away from your yummy cake mix.
Spread the cake batter evenly over the apples.
Bake until firm and brown. Cool for at least 15 minutes before turning out onto a cake rack.
Sprinkle with icing sugar and flaked almonds just before serving.
- 50g butter
- ½ cup/110g firmly packed brown sugar
- 6 apples peeled and sliced
- 125g soft butter
- 1tspn vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups/275g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup/110g self raising flour
- ¾ cup110g plain flour
- 2 tspns cinnamon
- ¾ cup/180ml sour cream
- 1 cup/120g almond meal
- ⅓ cup/25g flaked almonds
- Icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180/160C fan forced.
- Grease a 23cm round cake tin and line with paper.
- Beat butter and brown sugar to a paste. Spread it over the base of the cake tin.
- Place sliced apples over the butter/sugar paste.
- Beat butter, vanilla extract and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flours and cinnamon together.
- Alternately add the flour mixture with the sour cream, in 2 batches being careful not to over beat.
- Stir in the almond meal.
- Spread the mixture over the apples.
- Bake for 50 minutes until brown and firm.
- Leave in the tin to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the tin and sprinkle with icing sugar and flaked almonds.
- Serve with cream, custard or ice cream.